ow it’s time to do a critical reading of Hemingway’s short story, “Hills Like White Elephants.” (Be sure to complete the Week 02 Discussion first, where you complete a creative reading of the same story.)
Answer the following questions, referring to details in the story:
- In one or two sentences, summarize the plot of the story. (Clue: You don’t have to know what the “operation” is, but you can speculate.)
- What is the major conflict in the story and how is it resolved?
- What is the position of the main character at the beginning of the story and at the end. Is there a gain or a loss?
- Explain how plot is entwined with character in this story. In your answer, share whether or not you feel the two characters are acting naturally to what happens. To what extent do their character traits actually determine what happens in the plot?
- Can you imagine another good ending for the story? Why or why not?